Sunday 3 July 2011

July 2011

   Well it's that time of year again.....the Courgettes are beginning to arrive in numbers...it started in late June, with the excitement of the first one, and then the second, small and perfectly formed...but now they are ripening thick and fast, far faster than we can eat...so i may be adding a few marrow, easily substituted for giant courgettes, recipes this month. My personal favourite is marrow and ginger jam.

  The broad beans are coming into their own too, though the runner beans seem late this year. Peas and Mange Tout are still coming, as are the carrots, new potatoes, salad leaves, hearting lettuces, strawberries, black currants, spring onions,  and the beginnings of the salad beetroots. I'm sure I've missed many things off that list!

  I've started adding foody foraging to many of my excursions out, I head for the hills as often as i can for long distance wanderings, and I've been trying to pick up local produce at the place they are produced. It's a wonderful excuse for having a snoop around some beautiful Somerset farmyards and it's a great way of meeting some really interesting people.

   My new toy for the month is a DK Rocket Stove, bought at the Blackdown Woodland Festival. I haven't quite got it working yet...but I've only had a chance to play with it once. I aspire to being a good bushcrafter and that seems to be the ideal cooking implement. Once i have it working well, I have a lovely yogurt and honey flat bread recipe to try out on it...

 

  

1 comment:

  1. Carol sent me through a link to an excellent film about growing food locally.
    "Transition Forest Row recently produced an excellent 20 minute film called ‘Growing food locally’ which looked at local food initiatives in the area. It focuses on the impact of rising oil prices on food, the community supported agriculture model, allotments, garden share, schools and veg boxes. Now on available on YouTube"
    http://transitionforestrow.org/video/growing-food-locally
    I've also added it into links so take a look.
    Thanks Carol!

    ReplyDelete